Penalty for Late Return of Books
Books must be returned by the date or time specified on the date due slip. Fines for overdue loans are calculated from the due date to the day the items are returned. Public holidays are included in this calculation. For example, if a book is due before a Public Holiday and is returned after the Public Holiday, the fines will be counted eventhough the library is closed.
The decision of the Library to impose a fine and quantum thereof shall be final and not subject to any appeal, save where gross error can be shown.
Patrons must pay all fines incurred regardless of whether a notice was received. Patrons who fail to pay will have their borrowing privileges suspended. Patrons must retain the receipts for the paid fines as proof of payment.
Patrons with debts due to the Library will not be allowed to attend convocation and their certificates will be withheld until such debts are cleared.
The following will not be accepted as valid reasons for waiving/reducing library charges/fines:
- Lack of knowledge of library policy
- Disagreement with library fine structure/policy
- Inability to pay library fees or charges
- Book(s) loaned to a third party
- Non-receipt or late receipt of library reminder notices (notices of overdue books are sent as a matter of courtesy. It is the patron's responsibility to ensure his/her current email address is in the Library's system)
- Out of town / back to home town
- Forgetting the due date
- Semester break, on leave, exams, industrial attachment
- Transportation problems
Loss or Damage to or Replacement of Books
Any loss or damage to a library book must be reported to the Librarian. Fines, where imposed, will be determined in the following manner :-
- Payment equivalent to twice the current price of the lost or damaged book plus a processing fee of RM25.00 for each book. If the price is not available from reference sources, the price will be determined based upon the purchase price as indicated in the Library's acquisitions record. If such record is unavailable , patrons must pay double the *estimated price plus a processing fee of RM25.00 OR
- Replacement of the lost or damaged book plus a processing fee of RM25.00 for each book.
- Estimated price is calculated based on books written by the same author or similar titles written by different authors and approved by the Librarian.